M42 High Speed Steel
AISI M42 Tool Steel is an important Cobalt-Molybdenum high speed tool steel with an additional 8% cobalt. This HSS grade has a high hardness and superior hot hardness. AISI M42 Steel is suitable for heat treatment up to 70 HRC, and offers excellent cutting performance. M42 steel also offers excellent wear resistance and often identified by HSS-Co.
C: 1.05-1.15; Si: 0.15-0.65; Mn: 0.15-0.40; P: max0.030; S: max0.030;
Cr: 3.50-4.25; Mo: 9.00-10.00; V: 0.95-1.35; W: 1.15-1.85; Co: 7.75-8.75;
Form of AISI M42
Round / Square / Flat Bars, Rods, Plates, Sheets, Blocks
Size of M42 Steel
dia. 1-16mm (Cold Drawn);
dia. 10-50mm (Hot Rolled);
dia. 50-180mm (Hot Forged);
dia. 180-300mm (Free Forging);
Thickness: 1-2.5mm(Cold Rolled); 1.5-20mm(Hot Rolled); 20-300mm(Hot Forged);
Surface Condition of M42 Tool Steel
Black, Peeled, Rough Machined, Ground
Hardness of M42 High Speed Steel
Annealed (+A): max 269HB
Mechanical Properties of AISI M42 Steel
Percentage reduction of area after fracture
Elongation after fracture
Quenched and Tempered (+QT) of M42 Steel
1. Preheat aisi M42 steel slowly to the temperature of 820-870°C;
2. Keep heating up to hardening temperature of 1160-1190°C;
3. Make sure that the material is heated throughly;
4. Quench in the oil or brine;
5. Heat uniformly to the required tempering temperature;
6. Withdraw M42 steel from the furnace and cool in air;
7. The general tempering temperature is 540-590°C which can make the material at 70HRC.
8. The M42 tool steel is also suitable for vacuum hardening and triple tempering is strongly recommended.
Applications of AISI M42 Steel
M42 tool steel is generally used in conditions that the demand for hot hardness is high, Such as the cutting tools including twist drills, taps, broaches tools, milling cutters, reamers, end mills, bandsaw blades,etc. It is also a good quality wear resistant HSS-Co grade for cold work tools.
Enquiry for AISI M42 Tool Steel Round / Square / Flat Bar, Plates, Sheets, Blocks.