M2 High Speed Steel
AISI M2 Tool Steel is a tungsten-molybdenum type,general purpose hss steel that as per AISI/ASTM standard. The wear resistance is better than AISI T1 steel. M2 Steel has higher hot hardness, it can withstand increases in temperature without losing its temper. AISI M2 steel offers high toughness combined with good cutting powers.
C: 0.78-0.88; Si: 0.20-0.40; Mn: 0.15-0.40; P: max0.030; S: max0.030;
Cr: 3.75-4.50; Mo: 4.50-5.50; V: 1.75-2.20; W: 5.50-6.75;
Form of AISI M2 Steel
Round / Square / Flat Bars, Plates, Sheets, Blocks
Size of M2 Tool Steel
dia. 1-16mm (Cold Drawn);
dia. 10-50mm (Hot Rolled);
dia. 50-180mm (Hot Forged);
dia. 180-300mm (Free Forging);
Thickness: 1-2.5mm(Cold Rolled); 1.5-20mm(Hot Rolled); 20-300mm(Hot Forged);
Surface Condition of M2 Steel
Black, Peeled, Rough Machined, Ground
Hardness of M2 High Speed Steel
Annealed (+A): max 255HB
Mechanical Properties of AISI M2 Steel
Percentage reduction of area after fracture
Elongation after fracture
Quenched and Tempered (+QT) of M2 Tool Steel
1. Preheat M2 steel slowly to the temperature of 850-900°C;
2. Keep heating up to hardening temperature of 1200-1250°C;
3. Make sure that the material is heated throughly;
4. Quench in the oil or brine;
5. Heat uniformly to the required tempering temperature;
6. Withdraw M2 tool steel from the furnace and cool in air;
7. The general tempering temperature is 550°C which can make the material at 63-64HRC.
8. The AISI M2 steel is also suitable for vacuum hardening and triple tempering is strongly recommended.
Applications of AISI M2 Steel
M2 steel is widely used in the production of machine tool bits and cutting tools. Typical applications for M2 high speed steel are twist drills, reamers, broaching tools, taps, milling tools, metal saws. M2 tool steel is suitable for cold forming tools such as extrusion rams and dies,alos plastic moulds with elevated wear resistance and screws.
Enquiry for AISI M2 Tool Steel Round / Flat Bar, Plates, Sheets, Blocks.